Welcome, Side Hustle Nation Podcast Listeners!
I really enjoyed having the opportunity to share my Amazon strategy with you.
There are so many ways to make money online and selling on Amazon really is one of my favorites!
I have put together some resources for you on this page so that you can really decide if this is a good next step for you.
You will find relevant blog posts, our free 7-day email course and more information about our Amazon Boot Camp course.
Understanding Amazon FBA as a business model
Before you get started selling on Amazon, I think it is good to understand why it works as a business model. We have been selling on Amazon using the FBA program for almost 10 years! It is an awesome business model for most people. Whether you are a single parent trying to bring in enough money to pay for some after-school activities for the kids, or a full-time corporate worker looking to say goodbye to the 9 to 5 and hello to being an official side hustler.
When I talk to people about having an Amazon business, the first thing that comes to mind is usually “so and so who sells on eBay”. Ebay is actually where I got started in my e-commerce career, but the problem with eBay is the scalability. With a new baby at home, I didn’t know how I could go from making $1500/month to replacing my husband's income. I knew there had to be a better option, so I set off to find it. That is when I came across Amazon FBA. A completely scalable business model!
Most people are aware of Amazon.com because they BUY on Amazon There are over 90 million people who have active Amazon Prime accounts, which gets them FREE 2-day shipping on almost all products that are fulfilled by Amazon. But, what does that actually mean to you?
FBA stands for Fulfillment By Amazon. So, when we say we have an FBA business, it means that Amazon is doing the fulfilling. Let me break it down for you!
- We (the Amazon seller) find products locally that are profitable to sell on Amazon.
- We list our products for sale on Amazon.com.
- We set the price we want to receive for the products based on the combined total they are selling for currently (listed price + shipping and handling)
- We label and ship our products to the Amazon fulfillment warehouses
Let Us Help You Start Selling On Amazon
Our number one training is the Amazon Boot Camp. This course was built with you in mind. When I first started selling on Amazon, there were no step by step courses available. So, she had to figure it all out on her own. That is why we decided to create the first complete step by step video course for getting started on Amazon.com using the Fulfillment By Amazon program.
In this course you get:
- Screen Share step by step instructions to get your Amazon business up and running in no time!
- Strategies to help you source products
- Plus, you get access to our members-only only private Facebook group where we have tons of successful Amazon Boot Camp students
- Join a community with long time full time Amazon sellers who are ready to help you as you embark on this new journey
Top Blog Posts For Starting An Amazon Business:
- Get to know The Selling Family and our current business model in this post.
- How Cliff quit his job to sell on Amazon full-time.
- The ultimate guide to selling on Amazon.
- Retail arbitrage 101 – how to buy from local stores and resell on Amazon.
- The top ways we source inventory for our Amazon business.
- How to choose the right products to sell on Amazon.
- The true cost of starting an Amazon business.
SOME THINGS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Money $ – Usually I recommend that people have at least $500 in investment capital to get started on Amazon. This is a good amount to get your feet wet with the inventory buying process as well as getting you some good tools to help you get started.
If you do not have that much to start out with, I would recommend that you start your Amazon FBA business with some new items you may have around your own home. Take a look around and see if you have any new kitchen wares (like that teal blender you just had to have) or those fun board games that no one in the family actually made time to play. If you can find just 10 items in your own home that are able to be sold for more than $25, you will have a good chunk of money available to invest in new inventory.
Scouting App – One of the tools that we can not live without in our business is our Scoutify App. This is an app that comes free with our inventory listing program called Inventory Lab. If you aren’t ready to invest in the best tools, Amazon actually has their own seller app (Amazon Seller) which seems to be getting better and better over time.
The purpose of these apps is to scan a barcode of an item you are interested in selling, and being able to quickly see pertinent information about the item. Such as the selling price on Amazon.com and how much profit you would make after Amazon’s fees for selling the item.
See our full review of Scoutify here.